Monday, March 17, 2014

One hour of surprises!

After a lifetime of working various careers, jobs, and for myself, I've come to realize that I need to set aside one hour a day for surprises. It doesn't matter how much time I spend working out my schedule at the beginning of the week, or how much work I want to get done, invariably, at least once a day, the surprises come.

Surprises come in many shapes and forms. One day the toilet breaks, another day a pipe leaks. A phone call comes from a sick family member. Or my cat barfs all over my bed. I suddenly realize I forgot to buy insurance yesterday. Or a friend says they're going to Las Vegas and I want to figure out if I can go too.

Surprises also come in the form of happy events. For example, today I was all set to work on a short story and my new website. I decided to take a break and check my email. Not only did I sell another article but an author invited me to join her Facebook Like for a Like event today! The article is not due until later in the week, but the Facebook Author's Page promotion is only on for twenty-four hours. Many authors signed up, so this took a great deal of time today. But it was a great idea, as my Facebook page was in sad need of promotion. It was also a fantastic idea that I hadn't had time to think up for myself. Sometimes when you connect with others, they have fabulous networking ideas.

Today I lost an hour of working time, but it was for a great cause. Be sure to keep an hour free from your schedule each day for those daily surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment